Compton Grand Prix

L33 CPT offers his personal view of the Grand Prix world

Monday, November 06, 2006

F1: The Race on Sky One

Ok, so I've not been around much this last week and I haven't got my Season Review underway yet and guess what - I'm going away tomorrow for a week so it won't be done anytime soon!

But I did have to bring up one point of contention with Sky One's new show, The Race, that starts tonight at 10pm. It sounds good, Girls V Boys in different forms of motor racing, I'm not looking forward to Denise Van Outen hosting as I think her 'Cockney Ladette' thing wore thin a long time ago, but I will still be watching.

My problem with the show is to do with the two F1 Drivers they have signed up to captain the two teams - David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine. Both capable racers and more than up to the job in hand, but Sky have advertised the show by saying
"It's Boys against Girls with two teams captained by F1 legends David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine"
I'm sorry? LEGENDS?! Who the hell are they trying to kid?! An F1 legend is Fangio, an F1 legend is Ayrton Senna.

At no stretch of anyone's imagination can two driver's that spent their F1 careers as "Number 2" Drivers ever be considered legends. Eddie Irvine even had the (arguably) genuine legend Michael Schumacher support him in a push for the 1999 title after the German broke his leg and missed half of the season - and still couldn't win! DC is now on borrowed time and won't be racing much longer and has never been in a position to win the championship - despite spending much of his career in the best car!

I suppose Sky think they wouldn't get many viewers if they advertised the show with the truth instead...
"It's Boys against Girls with two teams captained by F1 also rans David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home