Compton Grand Prix

L33 CPT offers his personal view of the Grand Prix world

Saturday, October 07, 2006

F1: Qualifying from Suzuka

Sorry this is late, I had to make sure that Felipe Massa's Pole Position still stood after he held up Alonso during Q3. Of course it did, the Stewards not even bothering to investigate it, after all he's in a red car. Flavio Briatore plans to lodge a complaint with Charlie Whiting and the stewards, but added
"Nothing will happen. We already know what the answer will be. If you are fighting with McLaren, it is fine, but if you fight with these guys (Ferrari) it is impossible."
Ironically, the incident comes after Ross Brawn said this on friday
"I think what we mustn't have is, let's say, the number two drivers blocking or intentionally slowing one of the championship contenders, I think that would be a bit unfortunate and unacceptable."


Other than that it was quite an exciting Qualifying, with the Toyota cars doing very well to take the second row of the grid - expecting an early first stop to their three stop strategy.

Coulthard - and indeed his Red Bull Teammate - failed to get out of Q1, and this time it wasn't anyone else's fault! He actually said that the car wasn't quick enough - something I've been wanting to hear (as opposed to his normal excuses) for a long time! He also made the comment that it was not good enough to be out qualified by the Toro Rosso team, who use last year's Red Bull Racing car. Well done DC, but is it too little too late? Hopfully the recent slowness of the RBR means that the team are concentrating on next year's Adrian Newey designed RB3.

Neither McLaren's made Q3, and how I laughed!! I know that sounds mean, and I should point out that I have a lot of respect for Ron Dennis and the McLaren team, but as a long time Williams boy it was nice to out qualify the McLarens for a change!

So, unless something bizarre happens, the Ferrari team should dominate tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be watching live as it's the Bathurst 1000 tonight, and that continues until 8am tomorrow. However, I will be recording the F1 race and will watch it as soon as I can - although I may leave it until the extended highlights at 3:30pm, so the race report will be late tomorrow too!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home